The GP Gazette

The apex predator of gaming: Apex Legends

Courtesy of EA and Respawn.

Courtesy of EA and Respawn.

Fortnite: Battle Royale, is an MMO battle royale, and it is the holder of game of the year for 2017-2018. But then there’s the amazing game called Playerunknown’s BattleGrounds, also known as PUBG, PUBG is also an MMO, and I should probably mention that MMO stands for Mass Multiplayer Online. PUBG has a major fan base, so does Fortnite, and thanks to that, there has been a war that has been going on between them for about the past year or so. But then all that stops and it becomes a three way war between APEX, PUBG, and Fortnite. APEX legends is another MMO battle royale and is more realistic than Fortnite but still has enough fiction that it makes it fun.

The gameplay of Apex fuses elements from a variety of video games, including Respawn’s own Titanfall series, battle royale games, class-based shooters, and those with evolving narratives. Approximately sixty players are pitted against each other on an island in squads of three, with one player controlling where their squad lands. The squads then must scavenge for weapons and other resources to fight other squads, during which the play area gradually constricts in size until one squad remains, thus ending the match. The game also features care packages and the ability to revive your teammates within a certain amount of time. Communication with team members can be done through voice chat or through a ping system, allowing teammates to mark supplies, locations, and enemies with ease. The game features eight heroes to choose from (though two of them are locked by default), and features a micro transaction system for cosmetic items.

The concept for the game came to fruition during the development of a new Titanfall game, after EA’s acquisition of Respawn in 2017. The sudden success of the battle royale genre prompted the developers to create one of their own that incorporates elements of the series, in addition to the concepts seen in games throughout the past decade. Following its release, the developers announced plans for cross-platform play, as well as ports for iOS, Android, and the Nintendo Switch, in the future.

Apex Legends received very positive reviews from critics, who praised its gameplay, progression system, and fusion of elements from various genres. Some considered it a worthy competitor to Fortnite Battle Royale, a similar game that had gained massive popularity in the previous year. The game surpassed over 25 million players by the end of its first week, and 50 million within its first month.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The apex predator of gaming: Apex Legends”

1. Chase dougherty (staff writer) on April 2nd, 2019 2:36 pm

geez hussein stop fishing for those comments. you’re stealing all my commentors.

2. Henry Rainey on April 4th, 2019 3:25 pm

This is Poop Doo Doo

3. Mr. Brandy on April 11th, 2019 4:07 pm

This article and of your other gaming articles suck.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The apex predator of gaming: Apex Legends

Reviews

A gamer’s guide to Halo!

Entertainment

Dark Souls, players woes.

Entertainment

Split tops the box office in its opening weekend

Reviews

Taco Bell is an oldie but goodie

News

Stupidity at its finest

Reviews

A gamer’s guide to Halo!

Entertainment

Keep on smiling! =)

Opinion

You’re a good person… I hope.

News

Youtube showdown! Pewdiepie versus T-series!

Opinion

Student versus teacher wrestling should be considered!

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High