The GP Gazette

Racism a Term that isn’t as Black and White as it Seems

Left to right: seventh graders, Ian Termunde, Henry Rainey and jess Negetich write stories during Journalism class.

Photo by Nava Sharma

Photo by Nava Sharma

Racist is a term we all hate to be called as, especially from people who work in public speaking, like politicians [except for some], youtubers, and so much more. But, what does it mean you? After asking over sixty people, there was a general trend with a few exceptions but those were the cream of the crop. But before I go into depth, if you’re not at all into reading a essay. Then here’s a splendid quote to summarize, “Racism is simply a thing that should not exist, skin color, voice, and general dialect should not determine that person’s personality or interests,” [Arigato Some Shmuck]

Then after three handfuls, the general trend was that racism is about judging or being mean at a person due to their skin colour and race. But, I’ve found three exceptions that gives me a new angle that I love to share. But, of course, I’ll not say the names for privacy reasons.

“Shielding yourself from other people problems.” This quote is spoken very eloquently, and brings to light a unique angle that I haven’t heard before.

“Base on money… if you have money they’ll treat you different, but that doesn’t mean that racism aint a thing if you have money.” This, reminds me of how OJ was treated, and I like that; It’s simple and informative.

“Trump” Not because of political reasons. [Even though I enjoy debating about it.] It’s just humorous, and I like to share it.

But, aside from all that, I think racism should be better define than what dictionaries give. Racism is where people mistakenly, or purposely, be offensive to another by insulting the other’s colour/ethnicity and is not a personality, but is from past experiences and insecurities. In all honestly, were all human,we should look past our colours and be treated not as just races but as individuals. If you have a different view and or critique, respond to me in anyway you want.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Racism a Term that isn’t as Black and White as it Seems”

1. Nava on October 3rd, 2018 3:37 pm

It is interesting and it’s short. It talks about racism without hurting anyone (racist people). Over all it’s great.

2. Ian Termunde on October 3rd, 2018 3:38 pm

I was technically not writing journalism stories, but actually watching SpongeBob videos.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Racism a Term that isn’t as Black and White as it Seems

News

The Wasatch, versus, Granite Park

News

Swallowing water can lead to dry drowning

News

All we need is love

News

School suspensions just suspend the real issues

News

Logic and wife split after two years

News

World to end on April 18th

News

Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Shooting at Smith’s brings chaos to the public

News

Too much coffee can be dangerous to your health

News

Armed!

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High