Yoga helps Granite Park students Cope With End Of Year Testing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Some teachers and students say Yoga helps relieve stress, many students this term are stressing, maybe because of SAGE or other problems. Mrs. Johnson, one of the counselors, decided to develop a yoga class that allows students to relax and focus more on class and school, instead of stressing over the sage testing. Not many students are stressing but about 99% are. Yoga doesn’t only help relieve stress, but to focus and stay in control of your self, kinda like entering a new world, a world where you feel different, relaxed, calm, free and most of all you feel more you.

In this yoga class, Mrs. Johnson first gives out some relaxing exercises that help you feel calm and relaxed, and as she does that there is soft, calming music playing. Then as she is ending, she reads a quote that gives inspiration towards the student, for example, “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” -Anonymous. Not many students go to her class, maybe because they feel embarrassed or because they think it’s not for them, well let me tell you one thing, “yoga isn’t for anyone in specific, yoga is based on relaxation, something people may need. But most of all yoga is a class where there’s no need to try fitting in, because in yoga you are part of something already, and it’s a new part of your family and friendship.” At Least that’s what I think, not many think the same but others may think similar.  About 15-20 students go to Mrs. Johnson’s yoga class, not many boys do, there are mostly girls.

Yoga class is only Tuesday and Thursday. According to some students that access that class say they feel less stress, and feel calmer, and more relaxed. According to Mrs. Johnson, she believes that yoga would help students relieve stress and that many students should, “Think of present, not the past or future.” Yoga is an amazing class, and from my experience, I would say that it’s a great class, were you feel relax calmer and feel like all the weight is lifted off your back. Also, with a quote at the end, it makes me feel more happy about myself, and I think it does the same to every single student.