School suspensions just suspend the real issues

Back to Article
Back to Article

Suspension is a type of punishment for students who misbehave, but does suspension work? Students are supposed to get taught a lesson and learn to not misbehave again. Some students think that suspension is just a little break from school and don’t try to fix their behaviour. If a student is caught fighting their punishment would be a fifty dollar fine and an automatic suspension.

But if students were allowed to talk it over to understand what happened or what their reasons were it would be easier to give the students the consequences they deserve. The traditional way that schools punish students for their actions is to  suspend students. There are other ways to teach misbehaving students a lesson. Being able to talk the problem out with the students will allow them to correct their behavior.

Have you ever been suspended, if so what for?

“Yes, I was in 5th grade, got into a fight, savage”-Ali Mudhir

Did school suspension help you?

“No, it was a blast”-Ali Mudhir

“I got suspended for poking people with a needle”-Isaac Torres

Did school suspension help you?

“No, not at all. I still poke people with needles”-Isaac Torres

Suspension doesn’t help all students. Suspension doesn’t teach students a lesson. The only thing it does is drop students grades and make them care less about school because they have lots of school work to catch up on. Some say that students deserve to get that form of punishment, but sometimes when students get suspended it isn’t their fault. There are times when students are forced to fight even if they don’t want to, when teachers see this they just choose assume that both kids wanted to fight. Should unsupervised trouble makers be left at home and be able to cause more trouble?