The GP Gazette

Popularity can lead to bad grades

Back to Article
Back to Article

Popularity can lead to bad grades

Photo by Kaydence Mallon

Photo by Kaydence Mallon

Photo by Kaydence Mallon

Many of us have watched movies like, “Mean Girls”, “Clueless”, or “Hot Chick” and in reality in school we can’t really relate to these movies, but we can say there are some people that care more about what people think and where they stand in school then their schoolwork. Unlike movies like these not only do girls act this way, but boys as well. Teens like this may act more prissy, dress “cooler”, and disrespect others for fun. Some teens though can care more about their schoolwork than what others think.

Teens that care more about how people think of them act like this, many teens in school will watch something about bullying and say and/or think how messed up and mean it is, but the same teens will go to school and bully others, some teens realize that they are bullying, but some honestly don’t. Today if you say something to someone that is very cleverly hurtful you are cool. Teens use a term called, “Roasted,” this term is how kids express when someone has been told something they can’t argue back with, or is just told something very clever yet very hurtful. Teens will roast someone and then quickly say just kidding after, but does this really help.

Teens that care more about their school work act more like this, they try and stick up for others that are being bullied, and they don’t bully others. Kids will make sure their school stuff like, homework, extra credit, or assignments are done before they go somewhere with friends on the weekends. They also make sure they have their missing assignments turned in and all their work is completed. These kids will also do as much extra credit as they can to pick up their grades.

When I asked Samantha Morales and Liannie Padilla the same questions they gave me different answers. I asked both of them if they care about their schoolwork, Liannie doesn’t really, but Samantha proudly does. Neither of them want to be popular, but Samantha stands somewhere in the middle of everyone and Liannie is almost popular. They both care more about their schoolwork than what people think of them. Samantha said,” I care about my schoolwork because I know it’s gonna help in the future with what I want to do.” Liannie disagrees with an argument of, “Some things teachers give us is not important in our future.”

So, as you can see people are in a certain category when it comes to this topic. They either care more for their schoolwork, or what people think of them in school, but you can be in the middle of both as you can see Liannie was more in the middle than on a side, and Samantha was on the side of schoolwork.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Popularity can lead to bad grades”

1. Pearl on April 17th, 2018 11:14 am

Kaydence, i really like your outlook on how popularity can impact your school work. I think People labeled as “popular” put in a lot of effort into their social life and lose the balance of school and fun. But even still many students who don’t label themselves as “popular” may be lacking in school due to hardships at home or misunderstanding of the curriculum. I think it would be really interesting to hear more from other students within the school.

2. Kaydence on May 3rd, 2018 12:50 pm

Thank you, and I will look into that. :))

3. MsGraybill on April 17th, 2018 5:48 pm

Life is all about balance. And balance is the quest of a lifetime.

4. Danielle Pacheco on May 4th, 2018 9:27 am

I would have to agree with this story. It’s very true that popularity does affect grades. If you were to observe people in class the more popular ones don’t pay attention and usually at out more than the less popular ones. The thing is with popular people they don’t seem to care if there and or they don’t notice. Well, some do they just really don’t care. If there mean their friends just laugh about it and think its funny. Today I was in my first period and there where this two girls “roasting” each other and they were just laughing about it. Some of the things they were saying to each other was really mean. It’s really sad that this is what today’s teen society is like. Kaydence I really love how you added in the movies about teens. Like the movie Mean Girls. By watching this movie it may influences how teen act towards each other. People take these movies in the wrong way. Meaning as in Mean GIrls the more mean Regina is too people the more popular she gets. In all Kaydence, I agree with your opinion on this. This is an amazing story keep it up. I really like you as a writer, I hope to see more interesting stories like this that you will put out in the future. Thank you for bringing attention to this, this is something that needs to get talked about more.

5. Samim on August 28th, 2018 1:22 pm

I agree, I have seen people just like that who acts cool, shows off, and bully other people just to get someones attention or act cool their friends laugh even thought its not funny, They don’t want stand up for the guy who is gettin bullied because their scared cause they might lose their friend

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

The Wasatch, versus, Granite Park

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Racism a Term that isn’t as Black and White as it Seems

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Swallowing water can lead to dry drowning

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

All we need is love

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

School suspensions just suspend the real issues

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Logic and wife split after two years

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

World to end on April 18th

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Shooting at Smith’s brings chaos to the public

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Too much coffee can be dangerous to your health

• Popularity can lead to bad grades

News

Armed!

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High
Popularity can lead to bad grades