The GP Gazette

Sickle cell can cut lives short

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sickle cell can cut lives short

Sickle cells are when you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen  through your body. Sickle cells are shaped like sickle or a crescent moon and normal blood cells are flexible, round, and moving around your body. With sickle cells, your blood cells become rigid and sticky. These irregular shaped cells can get stuck in your small blood vessels which can slow or block blood flow and oxygen to parts of the body. There is no cure for most people with sickle cell  but treatments can relieve pain and help prevent problems associated with the disease. The signs or symptoms of sickle cells are, anemia which is when sickle cells break apart and dies easily leaving you without enough regular red blood cells and red blood cells usually live up to 120 days and then need to be replaced. But sickle cells live up to 10 to 20 days leaving a short amount of regular blood cells. Another sign is episodes of pain and since the sickle cells get stuck between the small vessels.

Not only can sickle cell block breathing but it could cause a lot of pain and it could also harm organs, muscles, and bones. Around 100,000 americans are living with sickle cell, sickle cells affect millions of people worldwide but it’s more common in Africa, Mediterranean countries like Greece, Turkey, and Italy and it’s also common in the spanish speaking regions like in South America, Central America and parts of the Caribbean. One in 12 African Americans carry the sickle cell. If a parent has sickle cell anemia, there may be a 50% possibility that it can inherit it to their children. Eighteen percent of the deaths occured in a patient with overt organ failure. Approximately 100,000 people suffer from sickle cell anemia, and two million people have sickle cell trait.

Sickle cell anemia can be a very painful disease and cause a slow death. If you start to feel all these symptoms then you probably have sickle cell anemia. Males live up to 60 years and females live up to 68 years, if they have sickle cells. Sometimes sickle cell anemia can get so bad that males die at the age of 42, and females live up to the age of 48. People with sickle cell trait don’t have any symptoms, and live a normal life. If you start to feel any of these symptoms like breathing problems, pain in your body, or organ failures, then you should probably see a doctor to check if your a sickle cell victim.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Sickle cell can cut lives short”

1. Jocelyn Roberts on March 27th, 2018 11:05 am

I was very interested in reading this story because I’m going to be a nurse someday and I would really like to help many people with sickle cell disease. I liked how you included some numbers in your article, this makes it so people realize how big of a problem it is in today’s world. My question to you is what kind of treatments are out there to help with the symptoms? Does it include some type of medication? Also, you could include some information on how this disease starts to manifest in the human body. I would also like to know which organs are impacted by this disease. Overall, your story is really eyeopening and full of interesting facts. Great work!

By: Haidee Sanchez (Westminster College student)

2. Jocelyn Roberts on March 27th, 2018 11:15 am

You have done a fantastic job on this article! Some constructive criticism that I would like to give you is, have another person proofread your paper. There were just a few grammatical errors that I could spot. Also, I would have liked to see what the current medical community has to say about sickle cell. What is the current medical literature saying? Overall, an excellent job on this article!

3. anthony on March 27th, 2018 2:33 pm

You have to visit the doctor if you have this symptoms before this disease can kill you.

4. Tamarah on March 28th, 2018 2:08 pm

Great story and not a lot of people care about these things, and I thing the should so keep it up ,and I hope people start to make stories like that great stories.

5. Axel Hernandez on March 28th, 2018 2:16 pm

I like this article, and it caught my attention.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Reviews

The apex predator of gaming: Apex Legends

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

News

Stupidity at its finest

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Reviews

A gamer’s guide to Halo!

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Entertainment

Keep on smiling! =)

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Opinion

You’re a good person… I hope.

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

News

Youtube showdown! Pewdiepie versus T-series!

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Opinion

Student versus teacher wrestling should be considered!

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Entertainment

Dark Souls, players woes.

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

News

Article 13 could destroy the internet as we know it

• Sickle cell can cut lives short

Sports

Students versus teachers basketball.

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High
Sickle cell can cut lives short