The GP Gazette

To censor, or not to censor, that is the question

Back to Article
Back to Article

Censorship is usually a hit or a miss. It can be used to, fairly, block people from seeing or hearing something they don’t want to hear, such as nudity, or swearing in movies and TV. But it can also be used to unfairly block people from seeing or hearing something they don’t want to hear, like, maybe taking a movie out of theaters, or, say, taking an entire article off a website because they say something you don’t agree with.

I feel like it is completely unfair to take something down, for one little thing you didn’t agree with within it. It is 100% unreasonable to get rid of the entire thing, when you could address what you don’t like within it. Sure people may say stuff that you don’t agree with, but that’s part of life, having to listen to people say things you don’t believe in, so you’re eventually going to have to learn to live with it, or in the future, you’re going to turn into one of those people who is constantly trying to censor people for having opinions.

You know what the beauty of the internet is? I am positive there are quite a few things on the internet w people say that you don’t agree with, and you just don’t have to listen to them. It’s as simple as that. If you see something that someone says that you don’t agree with, you can go to a different page, or you can scroll down farther into the comments, or you could even, get this, type up a well thought out response telling the person why you don’t agree with them. I know right, insane isn’t it? There are ways of not hearing things that you don’t hear, other than completely censoring people

I get it, ok, sometimes, there’s a piece of media, and it’s completely vile, and it’s terrible, and you never want to see it again in your entire life. But unless that’s the case, there is no need to completely censor it, and even sometimes when that is the case, it’s can still completely unnecessary.

Another thing I wanted to talk about, is something that, when I usually hear people talk about, I disagree with them. But in this case I feel like it applies. I feel like the majority of people these days can’t handle hearing any adversarial opinions. It’s like even the slightest hint of an opposite stance on something they feel strongly about, means the person who is just, sharing their opinion with them, is a terrible person. It was like what was going on back during the elections, mind you, I’m no Donald Trump supporter, but if you showed that you were a Donald Trump supporter, you were seen as one of the worst things to roam this planet, ever. And sometimes, people would vandalize your property for having a sign supporting him.

In conclusion, if you think that censorship is the answer for reading, seeing, or listening to, something you don’t like, it is long overdue that you re-evaluate your opinion on the matter.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “To censor, or not to censor, that is the question”

1. mckenzie hancock on February 23rd, 2018 10:18 am

Censorship is definitely a very big problem nowadays, in Canada they have “Hate propaganda” laws that prohibit people saying hateful things publicly. Anything could be considered “hateful” if you were to twist it enough, and as much as I hate racism and ignorance I strongly believe that anyone should be able to express their views and believes without government interference, and I fear that within a decade America may make similar laws. What I am saying is that censorship is dangerous and should be avoided whatever the cost.

2. Sawyer Lee on February 27th, 2018 10:31 am

I do not think that people should censor stuff because if they didnt want to see or hear the stuff that they dont like they shouldnt have went out of there way to end up there. Weather is hate, gore, nudity, ect, people have the minds to control there life and if we just put it in the back of our minds even if it takes time it wont matter if its censored or not because you dont care anymore.

3. Sawyer Lee on February 27th, 2018 10:34 am

On the other hand I think that people should be able to take off personel stuff if it has to do with them by moderaters but not by opinion but for this to happen it has to be reported with detail becuase you cant really tell if it does or not because you dont live with them so you wouldnt know.

4. mckenzie hancock on February 27th, 2018 11:11 am

I agree if it´s irrelevant or spam it should be removed.

5. Jocelyn Roberts on February 27th, 2018 11:09 am

I completely agree that many topics are trying to be covered up, and I don’t think they should be because it allows us to explore the different ways that people think. I think it would be interesting for you to explain a particular situation where the media or the people have tried to cover up a specific topic.

6. mckenzie hancock on March 1st, 2018 12:03 pm

Canada has hate speech laws, would that count?

7. Haidee Sanchez on April 17th, 2018 11:09 am

Yes, that is a perfect example!

8. Jeff Curran on March 2nd, 2018 7:24 am

Thanks Malcolm for your article and opinion. Public libraries also face censorship issues by people and groups who desire certain kinds of books should be banned. Keep libraries alive and healthy by allowing them to circulate the spectrum of material. Vote for people which support public libraries in our country. Read a banned book like Harry Potter in your school library.

9. Pearl - Westminster College on March 27th, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Malcom, i really like your thoughts on censorship. It is important that we learn to understand and respect others opinions. Although cencorship can be beneficial in regards to children watching/ reading inappropriate material, the more exposed a person is to differing views, the better we can make our own opinions. I urge you to always question and do your own research to continue to grow your knowledge and understanding. Always keep an open mind and recognize that nothing is done “just because”.

10. TPTalanoa on August 28th, 2018 2:34 pm

Even though this is too late, I enjoy reading your opinion, I agree with you on every point, the only thing useful to bring in a conversation is that, this situation of censorship to the internet actually came in three to two times. The first problem happened in the early development of the public internet, where there were some businesses trying to censor many things on the internet, the biggest contributor is Sopa, and everyone was oppose to it; even Google protests it. The second incident happened fairly recently, where Youtubers like Nostalgic Critic, IHE, yourmoviessucks, and etc, are getting struck down due to copyright for the use of movie clips, even though they’re in the clear to do so. Most of their channels are changed due to this, and everyone in the community hated it so they told Youtube and they’ve listen (Somewhat). The last one is Net Neutrality, where every website and company will be on the same playing field, but in late 2017, the chairmen of the FC is trying to break that and pass it off, and its’ scary to you and me. If its’ pass, your going to get censored to many things, if you want to tweet about Verizon is too slow, yeah no. In all three incidents it seems that censorship always lie with big companies trying to take over. Sorry for rambling, but that’s the main crux of all three.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• To censor, or not to censor, that is the question

Entertainment

Being smart, and sounding ‘smart’

News

The Wasatch, versus, Granite Park

Entertainment

What Spongebob Squarepants would be without Patrick Star

Opinion

Snitches don’t get stitches at Granite Park

Opinion

Worst duo in history’s careers finally end

Opinion

Either You Like Them or You Don’t

Opinion

Homeless people are people too

Opinion

Feminist demand more than equality

Opinion

Students argue over the possibilities of ghosts

Opinion

The greatest mental help, a friend

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High