The GP Gazette

Valentines Day Has a dark twist

Courtesy of pixabay.com

Courtesy of pixabay.com

Courtesy of pixabay.com

Every year on  February 14th, couples and friends celebrate Valentine’s day. But what is valentines day for? How did it originate? More importantly, who created this peculiar holiday? While many people think it is a holiday to celebrate love and romance, there is a lot more to the holiday than just that.

Until the Middle Ages, valentines day was actually a very tragic day for a few of the family members of saint Valentinus. Saint valentinus performed at weddings, but not just any weddings. He performed at banned weddings such as soldiers who were not to be married and ministering christians. He was later imprisoned for this and eventually executed as well. Before being executed, St. Valentinus wrote a letter to his daughter signed “ From your valentine”. He was buried on the fourteenth of February. In the 1700’s in England, people began purchasing gifts and performing gestures of love for their partner. Only later was this remodeled to the loving holiday we know today.

Not only is february fourteenth a day to remember St. Valentine and a day to celebrate romance, but it is also the day that we were introduced to penicillin in the year 1929. On Valentine’s day of 1876, Alexander Graham Bell applied for his patent for the telephone. It makes you wonder, did the tacky holiday inspire these inventors?  On the 14th in 1537, Valentines day was officially declared a holiday by king Henry the 8th. Despite all of the weird things that have happened on this day, this is the second most popular holiday. First being christmas of course.

Many people know a red heart as the symbolic figure of Valentines day. Although it wasn’t always this way. Prior to the fourteenth century, the red heart was known as an  atomic heart. This is apparently a center of memory for humans. It was the Italians and french who incorporated a red heart as something romantic.

On valentines day hundreds of dollars are spent just on roses, but what’s the big deal about a rose? The goddess of love, Venus, has a favorite flower. Her favorite flower is the rose, but of course there is a reason why. The goddess believed that the flower stood for strong romantic between two people. It’s not surprising that this is one of the most commonly bought item on Valentines day.

We all remember getting those chalky conversation hearts from our friends every February fourteenth. But where did it originate?  In 1847 Oliver Chase wanted to be apart of the apothecary lozenge craze, this was sort of the beginning of chalky medicine candies like this. They were known as a reliable source for sore throats and bad breath. The process to making these was time consuming and hard. As the years passed Oliver created a tool that made the whole process easier. He eventually left his pharmacy career to pursue his candy making business. His brother, Daniel, decided he wanted to get in on the action with his brother. Daniel realized that  the Valentines day card industry was booming, he decided that valentines themed candies would be all over the market.  In 1866, Daniel learned how to print sentimental messages onto candies using vegetable dyes. These candies weren’t actually heart shaped until the year 1902. Today, nearly 100,000 pounds are made every year.  

During the month of Valentine’s day, You see half naked babies with arrows all over every store. But why exactly is cupid related to Valentines day? Well, cupid comes from greek mythology. Cupids names comes from the latin word “cupido” meaning “desire”. Cupid was a son of the gods venus, the goddess of love. He was also the messenger of his mother, so he would shoot gold tipped arrows to couples so they would fall in love.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Valentines Day Has a dark twist”

1. karla landeros on February 12th, 2018 8:44 am

Nice, I guess every story has a deeper meaning then?

2. sara on February 13th, 2018 10:28 am

i guess that every love story has a dark meaning

3. JuanIgnacioHernandez on February 13th, 2018 10:38 am

That explains why we celebrate valentines Day

4. JuanIgnacioHernandez on February 13th, 2018 10:38 am

5. ayash on February 14th, 2018 10:32 am

good good

6. alejandra arias on February 14th, 2018 10:36 am

i think that its a good idea for people to actually know what valentines day is about and know how it originated to what \we know know as the day of love and romance ……. thank you for this article.

7. hope nunez on February 14th, 2018 10:37 am

This article is pretty interesting, i’m glad you didn’t do a story about how valentines is so cool and lovely (which it is not).

8. Sawyer Lee on February 26th, 2018 10:40 am

This article is about valentines day and it’s cool that it has a long background with amazing details and other parts of it and its lovely because it brings a good mood to know that it wasn’t a made up holiday like the lepercon were theres a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I think that even if the title or the story doesnt include cool or lovely that it still does with the inference of describing it.

9. Julissa on February 14th, 2018 10:42 am

I guess this was a good story. Explains a lot to why we celebrate valentines day.

10. John on March 1st, 2018 11:41 am

This is an amazing story. I wish I could read more about this! Keep up on making awesome stories.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

Entertainment

The inside scoop into Inside Out

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

News

Racism a Term that isn’t as Black and White as it Seems

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

News

Swallowing water can lead to dry drowning

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

Opinion

Snitches don’t get stitches at Granite Park

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

World

Immigrants are a scapegoat for America’s many problems

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

Entertainment

Ace Family build lasting bond

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

Showcase

Yoga helps Granite Park students Cope With End Of Year Testing

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

Opinion

Worst duo in history’s careers finally end

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

World

Mental illness is plaguing our society in many ways

• Valentines Day Has a dark twist

News

All we need is love

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High
Valentines Day Has a dark twist