The GP Gazette

New theories arise about the Titanic’s demise

Courtesy of Pixabay

Courtesy of Pixabay

Courtesy of Pixabay

Conspiracy theories, you either love them or hate them. You’re either an over paranoid Shane Dawson and Kendall Rae fan thinking the government’s trying to kill you or a rational person who actually believes the government keeps you safe. Either way there are just some theories that make me and hopefully you question everything you know.

By now we all know what the Titanic was and how it sank. If you don’t… where have you been…(the Titanic was a ship supposedly advertised as “unsinkable” that sank because of an iceberg on April 15, 1912). Anyway, there’s a conspiracy theory that the ship didn’t actually sink. There is no doubting that a ship sank, just that the Titanic wasn’t the ship that sank.

The Titanic was part of White Star Line’s (White Star Line was the company that owned the Titanic) three Olympic class liners, the other ships were called Olympic and Britannic. These ships were almost identical, except for a few differences such as spacing and number of windows and cosmetic things in the ship. These differences seem small but makes the ships distinguishable between each other if you know the differences.

The reason people believe the Titanic didn’t sink is because back in September of 1911(a little less than 9 months before the Titanic sank) White Star Line’s other ship, RMS Olympic had collided with the HMS Hawke. The collision between these two ships caused a lot of problems for White Star Line. This collision meant they would have to repair the Olympic and had to put the ship out of  service until it was repaired. This also meant the RMS Titanic would sail on April 10, of 1912 instead of March 20, 1912. At the time, White Star Line could not afford the repair costs of the Olympic and Legal bills they had to pay. They also weren’t earning money from the Olympic, since it was out of service. So White Star Line came up with a plan.They would switch out the Titanic for the Olympic and collect compensation when the ship sank.

The proof for this theory is that RMS Olympic had 16 unevenly spaced windows, while the RMS Titanic had 14 evenly spaced windows. (↓as shown in picture below↓)

Yet in a picture taken years later after the ship sank you don’t see evenly spaced widows like the ones on the Titanic. You see unevenly spaced windows very similar to the Olympic.

Other evidence to help this theory is lots of high class passengers didn’t go on the ship due to “sickness”, but were seen later just fine. There is also news reports of people who worked on the Titanic saying on their deathbeds that White Star Line told them if they told what really happened they would go to prison and never get another job again.

Out of the three teachers I have asked none of them have ever heard of this theory. I also asked them if they believed in conspiracy theories in general.

Mrs.Beaird said, “In general I don’t believe in conspiracy theories.”

Mr.C said, “I think there are some that are valid.”

I also asked students if they have ever heard of this theory or if they believe in conspiracy theories in general.

Alondra Cadenas said, “Yes, I have”

Amari Ledezma said. “Some of them, most of them are kind of dumb though”

I also asked why they think adults are less likely to believe in conspiracy theories.

Melanie Hernandez said, “They got used to hearing what they think is the true story”

Mrs. Madsen said, “Most adults go by facts.”

If this proved anything it’s that students are more likely to believe or spend time actually thinking about conspiracies. Why? Maybe the government hasn’t corrupted our minds like the adults yet, and we’re still able to think for ourselves… or we’re just gullible kids. Either way, whether you believe in conspiracy theories or not. This one is still something to think about.

1 Comment

One Response to “New theories arise about the Titanic’s demise”

1. MsGraybill on February 9th, 2018 11:03 am

Fascinating article, Anahy. I’m not really into conspiracy theories, but when I hear about them, like this one, I start to wonder.

[Reply]

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New theories arise about the Titanic’s demise

Opinion

Snitches don’t get stitches at Granite Park

Opinion

Worst duo in history’s careers finally end

Opinion

Either You Like Them or You Don’t

Opinion

Homeless people are people too

Opinion

Feminist demand more than equality

Opinion

To censor, or not to censor, that is the question

Opinion

Students argue over the possibilities of ghosts

Opinion

The greatest mental help, a friend

Opinion

It’s time to end gender discrimination

Opinion

Leveled classrooms hang in the balance

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High