The GP Gazette

“Letting Ana Go,” an emotional sob story

There is this story about a girl, an athletic girl with a bright future–thrown away by wanting to lose a few pounds. Once she started to lose weight, she wanted to lose more. It was an addiction of hers. Letting Ana Go is one of the most heartbreaking stories I have ever read. It shines a light on what the public refuses to talk about. It shows what people are too scared to speak up about. This is a real diary of an anonymous girl going through one of the worst things a teenager could go through.

The diary starts out as an opening into why she has a food diary. When her coach had handed out the food diaries, brouhaha ensued. But the mysterious girl liked writing about it. The diary continues from Friday May 18th (unknown year) to March 22nd. Her life goes all downhill after Saturday, June 9th.

Personally, this book really hits me. I noticed that while reading this, it felt as if you could truly feel what she was feeling. She described it in a way that was so confusing yet understanding. If you choose to read this book, you might want to have a box of tissues and a carton of ice cream, because trust me, this story is an emotional rollercoaster.

The more and more you start reading it, it shows everything that a teenager with an eating disorder can go through, and it is truly heartbreaking knowing this is a real diary. In the tradition of “Go Ask Alice” and “Lucy in the Sky,” a disasterios account of anorexia and addiction.

She was a good girl from a good family, with everything she could want or need. But below the surface, she felt like she could never be good enough. Like she could never live up to the expectations that surrounded her. Like she couldn’t do anything to make a change.

But there was one thing she could control completely. How much she ate. The less she ate, the better, stronger, she felt. Her journey is one that evokes complex emotions. It’s something not enough people talk about, or get help for themselves or others. The story is a beautiful mix of tragedy and hope. Tragedy that something like this can happen to anyone, and hope is we can get better. That society can change from toxic it produces.

3 Comments

3 Responses to ““Letting Ana Go,” an emotional sob story”

1. mbrandy on February 6th, 2018 7:59 pm

Not the kind of book I would normally pick up, but your review has piqued my interest. Nicely done!

[Reply]

2. mckenzie hancock on February 7th, 2018 10:29 am

I have never heard of this book before, but it looks like it’s amazing it’s sad that it is not more known. Thanks for sharing this amazing story with us Billie.

[Reply]

3. hope nunez on February 8th, 2018 10:41 am

I really like this article Billie, keep up the good work. I’m really happy that you showed us this book instead of keeping it to yourself.

[Reply]

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• “Letting Ana Go,” an emotional sob story

Entertainment

Technology causes students insomnia

• Entertainment

Lil Pump

Entertainment

Granite Park’s Winter Dance

Entertainment

Movies have had a long history over the years

Entertainment

Be careful while gaming, playing too much may cause health hazards

Entertainment

Ice Cube shows no sign of cooling off

Entertainment

Tupac, dead or alive?

Entertainment

Have a frighteningly happy Halloween

• Entertainment

Horoscope : Gemini

• Entertainment

Horoscope: Taurus

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High