The GP Gazette

It’s time to end gender discrimination

Courtesy of Istock.com

Courtesy of Istock.com

Courtesy of Istock.com

Schoolgirls and boys get treated differently. People say that a girl wearing tights and sweatpants is a distraction to boys, however, guys are allowed to wear sweatpants and not so much tights. That’s not fair. If a teacher catches a boy fighting another boy then they get in trouble. If a teacher catches a girl fighting another girl then they don’t get in as much trouble as the boys. According to two websites, rainn.org and the guardian.com men get away with rape a lot. The reason is because when a woman dresses a certain way, some men say they were asking for it. That’s not true. When girls dresses a certain way that’s how they want to dress. People have said when a woman gets drunk they get raped sometimes. Some people say it’s their fault because they didn’t know what they were doing. Gender discrimination leads to victim blaming of female victims. About 50,000 rapes occur each year. And 80 to 90% are never reported, because people get away with it. 1/3 of reported cases are recorded by police as “no crime’’. People shouldn’t get away with it so easily.

Gender discrimination leads to rape of men not being taken seriously. If men get raped, people say it’s not rape if they liked it. The average amount of victims that are raped is 321,500 victims. They are age 12 and older.  A man in college is more likely to get raped than a non-student. Men all over the United States have been victims of rape. Three percent of men thought about rape or attempted rape. In jail, about 80,600 have been raped or attempted rape, 60% of sexual violence against inmates is attempted by prison staff .

I asked some people what they had thought about people being raped. Areli Cortes said, “I think it’s bad and traumatizing because it’s painful going through that situation,” what do you think about rape?

According to ladders.com, 42% of women and 22% of men that work said they have experienced gender discrimination. 22% woman and 7% of men say they have experienced sexual harassment at work. People say that they didn’t get a promotion because of their gender.

I asked a few questions. I asked William Pettit “What do you think about gender discrimination?” William Pettit said, “I don’t think anybody should be discriminated against, it’s not nice.” Then later I asked, “What would you do if you saw somebody discriminating somebody here at Granite?” Pettit said, “I would do my best to stop it and report depending on how bad the situation is.” He then later started giving a couple examples of what discrimination sounds like and looks like. “You throw like a girl or you run like a girl. Girls can run awesome and throw awesome.” A guy can do anything a girl can do and a girl can do anything a guy can do. We shouldn’t discriminate people.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “It’s time to end gender discrimination”

1. David,Phillip Eakin on January 31st, 2018 12:03 pm

Gender discrimination and rape are wrong and over 78% of people in the US are perverts thats some sad reality. :.(

2. mckenzie hancock on March 1st, 2018 12:18 pm

what do you mean by perverts? Because that is most of America’s population.

3. Sky Snek on March 6th, 2018 11:13 am

I really liked how you included some statistics in your article. It is also interesting the view you have taken, as most women and girls would focus on the rape of the female statistics, but you focused on the rape of the male statistics. This brings a new perspective and discussion to an already controversial topic. Do you have any ideas on how we can reduce the rape numbers?

4. TPTalanoa on August 28th, 2018 2:13 pm

I know this is late to the discussion, but I just like the middle ground and the nice unbiased way you try to show both sides of gender discrimination. But there is something I felt missing as I read your article, it was about the idea of people getting wrongly convicted of rape, and how it ruins lives even if your declared innocent or not. I don’t know too much, just heard it, great article just need some work in my opinion.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• It’s time to end gender discrimination

Opinion

Snitches don’t get stitches at Granite Park

Opinion

Worst duo in history’s careers finally end

Opinion

Either You Like Them or You Don’t

Opinion

Homeless people are people too

Opinion

Feminist demand more than equality

Opinion

To censor, or not to censor, that is the question

Opinion

Students argue over the possibilities of ghosts

Opinion

The greatest mental help, a friend

Opinion

New theories arise about the Titanic’s demise

Opinion

Leveled classrooms hang in the balance

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High
It’s time to end gender discrimination