Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Anesthesia Awareness is when a patient in a hospital is getting a procedure, and while you’re in the procedure, you can feel everything they do to you. General anesthesia and Anesthesia Awareness are two different things. General anesthesia is what they give you to numb the pain so you won’t feel the pain, so when you wake up, it would be like nothing happened. After the procedure you may feel nausea, vomiting, dry throat, shivering, sleepiness, and mild hoarseness, which means your voice changing, like it may sound breathy, raspy, or there might be volume like loudness or with pitch.

Anesthesia Awareness does not happen to everybody. In some cases people just go in and get their procedures done, and sometimes have some  side effects, and recover. But in other cases, people recall everything. Less than 0.1% get affected by Anesthesia Awareness so 21,000 people out of 21 million people in the U.S. There are so many stories from different  people and how they felt. Mrs. Mijarez said, “It would be a very scary thing to go through, but the doctors, I hope they know what they’re doing. And maybe one day they can stop and the person would never feel that.”

People describe Anesthesia Awareness as a horrible and painful experience, but there are ways for you to prevent Anesthesia Awareness. Before the procedure and before they give you general anesthesia you should ask them to scan you, but back then, you would just have to deal with it. Itzia Garcia said, “It’s dangerous and it’s hurtful.”

In 2008 a woman woke up during surgery, she realized there was a tube down her throat and she felt a surgeon making an incision in her belly button. She quotes, “At this point, I was aware, I could not scream because of the breathing tube, all I could think of is I have got to move some way I was fighting for all I had in my mind to move as they proceeded with the second incision up by the rib cage, there are no words to describe the pain. That is one of the stories that happened and for some people it gets worse for them and sometimes they feel like killing themselves.

10 Responses to “Many unaware of anesthesia awareness”

1. mbrandy on January 3rd, 2018 1:03 pm

Thank you for researching and writing such an informative story. I gained some valuable knowledge that I hope to never have to use or experience.

[Reply]

2. Sawyer Lee on January 5th, 2018 10:20 am

wow that last part with the surgery has enough detail for me to imagine it and the pain feels real but not to the extent to where I really feel pain I just could see the amount of pain they’ed be in
    the point is.. is that the pain is mindblowing

[Reply]

3. Emma Carter on January 8th, 2018 12:18 pm

Scary. I had to go into surgery to get my tonsils out. I was super duper scared that this would happen to me that they let me bring in one of my stuffed animals and hold him during the surgery. Good job on the story! I like it!

[Reply]

4. Axhiry De La Torre on January 9th, 2018 10:38 am

It was okay but the end did seem a little weird but oh well i liked it

[Reply]

5. David, Philip Eakin on January 9th, 2018 12:10 pm

Well Is there a cure?

[Reply]

6. David, Philip Eakin on January 9th, 2018 12:12 pm

How can we prevent it.

[Reply]

7. David, Philip Eakin on January 9th, 2018 12:12 pm

How is it caused.

[Reply]

8. David, Philip Eakin on January 9th, 2018 12:14 pm

Are there more side affects?

[Reply]

9. David, Philip Eakin on January 9th, 2018 12:15 pm

Why is it here?

[Reply]

10. Juan gomez on January 10th, 2018 10:42 am

this is scary i am never going to have surgery in my life after reading this good job.

by the way please do more about students

[Reply]

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Opinion

To censor, or not to censor, that is the question

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Opinion

Students argue over the possibilities of ghosts

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Uncategorized

Valentines Day Has a dark twist

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

World

Tide Pods look too appetizing

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Opinion

Leveled classrooms hang in the balance

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Sports

Teachers narrowly win in a tough battle

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Opinion

Getting Fs isn’t the teacher’s fault

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

Opinion

Idea of a round earth falls flat with some

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

News

Trump aggravated by fire at Trump Towers

• Many unaware of anesthesia awareness

News

Wealthy to receive an early Christmas gift in Trump’s historic tax bill

Many unaware of anesthesia awareness