The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High

The GP Gazette

What does it mean to be an American?

Faith and experience defines being an American

What makes you an American? If we go back to way back when America began to become American, people didn’t have passports, a government, a president, you didn’t have to be born an American soil to be an American. You didn’t have to legal or illegal. You don’t have a label as if you were an American now. What really makes you an American is faith, faith makes you an American.

What makes a person an American is self-reliance. Pilgrims came to America on the Mayflower for religious freedom. In addition, pilgrims came here in faith to find something or to find a better place, not to create a government that makes you think it determines if your are who you are. Furthermore, they also came to be able to start a new civilization. Pilgrims are the founders of American in a way. They made America, America.

As expressed stated in the Declaration of Independence, what made an American, was their common faith — the commitment to act dauntlessly on that faith. Some of the reasons they came to America was to preserve their own language and start a custom life of their own. They relied on their own judgement and it didn’t get them in such a bad place.

According to historical columnist Michael Anthony Peroutka on the website theamericanview.com, “What brought the pilgrims together and unified them to resolve to risk their lives and fortunes and stake their honor, was on their belief. This made them be able to start a new civilization, which many people live in now. What were the tenets of that faith, as expressed in the Declaration?
For them, it came down to three basic points:
They said, ‘There is a God. A Creator God.’
They said, ‘Our rights come from Him.’”
And they said, “The purpose of government is to protect and defend these God-given rights.’”

In conclusion, it doesn’t matter what race you are, being an American isn’t race, it is culture. Being an American is an experience.

image_pdfimage_print

5 Comments

5 Responses to “What does it mean to be an American?”

1. maryam on May 23rd, 2017 11:56 am

I liked how you used a quote , but I do not think so that all governments keep these rights.

[Reply]

2. Anisa Valdez on May 23rd, 2017 11:57 am

Good work!

[Reply]

3. Connie Burgett on May 25th, 2017 7:06 am

Really nice story! Made me think about stuff I haven’t thought about before. Good job, Jojo!

[Reply]

4. Dwight K. Shrute on May 25th, 2017 11:08 am

Okay, so I would like to start by saying, what does “You don’t have to legal or illegal” in the first paragraph mean. Personally I don’t think “faith” makes you an American. Just because you say you’re an American doesn’t make you an American, I want to be a billionaire, but I checked my bank account, I’m not. I could tell someone I’m a billionaire, but I’m not. And you saying/telling someone you’re an American doesn’t make you one. If this upsets you in any way, I am not sorry. This is my opinion and fact. Can I also point out that being an American is more than just having faith that you’re one. One main thing in being an American, is being legal, a citizen, etc. Again, I do not apologize for what happens to be said in this comment. Faith does not make you an American.

[Reply]

Dwight K. Shrute Reply:

?*

[Reply]

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

error: Content is protected !!

What does it mean to be an American?