The GP Gazette

Do not challenge an eraser

A student demonstrates how the eraser challenge is done.

Photo by Annelle Vargas-Perez

Photo by Annelle Vargas-Perez

Young teenagers, including many at Granite Park, are participating in the “Eraser Challenge.” This popular challenge that started on social media, where kids rub an eraser on their skin while reciting the letters of the alphabet until their skin breaks and bleeds.

It all started when a student did it first and then told his friends and then it when by viral. The teens take an eraser and rub it back and forth until they get to the letter Z. Then they stop and they wait for a minute and they see if it get’s all red, but they don’t know what will happen.

There are countless videos online showing kids rubbing erasers on their arms and legs — doing it because of peer pressure, boredom, or just ignorance about what can happen.

Some students are using pencils to take notes and using their eraser to erase things, but others are using the eraser to erase their skin. When a student asks a teacher if they can have a pencil, they might only want the pencil so they have the eraser to erase their skin.

Parents, doctors, teachers and other adults are surprised when they see that what kids are doing. The challenge is known to produce bacteria that creates a toxin that causes much more severe effects, including low blood pressure, problems with clotting and severe signs of illness.

In some schools, the administration has already has sent a letter home to parents or guardians so they’ll know about the eraser challenge.

I think it’s great that they do notify parents, because something could go under the radar or be missed by parents,” said one student’s guardian.

The challenge often leaves deep abscesses in teens’ skin.

“Most students use their hands to do this, however it can be anywhere on their body. The skin is ‘erased’ to the point of blistering and significant open wounds,” said one Granite Park faculty member.

Many teenagers have tried the eraser challenge game. Some students keep doing it and doing it all the time they don’t even care that they get marks with them everywhere and forever. 

The eraser challenge may sound or look fun when a students does it, but then later when it starts to hurt, they may not like it.

When some students do the eraser challenge, they may say that they are the coolest students in the school. They don’t know anything about what a eraser can do. They think nothing will happen when something can happen. 

Some students don’t know about the eraser challenge. They may say that it sounds fun when it doesn’t, because when they actually do it, then they may ask “Why did I do this?” and “Why on the earth this happen to me.?” That’s why it is good not to do it and leave it like that. Some students may ask that if it fun to do eraser challenge, but when somebody tells them, “Yes, it’s fun” or “No, don’t even try it,” that’s why some students don’t do it and some do.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Do not challenge an eraser”

1. jose alonso on February 24th, 2017 10:49 am

i have done the earser challenge an dif i was you dont do it bcz then it starts burning and then its starts to hurt and it starts to turn red and if you do ti really hard then it will start bleeding so if i was you dont do the esrser challenge

2. Joel Paredes on February 27th, 2017 10:27 am

Agrred…

3. Lacie on February 27th, 2017 10:46 am

I think it’s good that you wrote this artical on the “Eracer Challenege” because this artical actually helped some students stop hurting there skin, so thank you!

4. Fatna on February 28th, 2017 11:58 am

I’m glad you wrote a story about this, most students wouldn’t. Thanks for your wonderful advice!

5. kayden on February 28th, 2017 12:04 pm

your right i did the eraser challenge two weeks ago and it hurt very bad and could send us to the hospital or worse is we erase were your vain is you could bleed out

6. Abdul on March 1st, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you for informing us about the ¨eraser challenge¨. I mean why would students would want to try something that you know you are not going be happy with the bad consequences it has. And also if it´s fun, that fun time might only for the time you are doing it and how much it hurts will probably take a few days to stop and it could also destroy your skin. Thank you.

The GP Gazette intends for this area to be used to encourage positive, upbuilding discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our Grizzly PRIDE standards. All comments are reviewed and approved before appearing online. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed as quickly as possible.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Do not challenge an eraser

Entertainment

The inside scoop into Inside Out

• Do not challenge an eraser

News

Racism a Term that isn’t as Black and White as it Seems

• Do not challenge an eraser

News

Swallowing water can lead to dry drowning

• Do not challenge an eraser

Opinion

Snitches don’t get stitches at Granite Park

• Do not challenge an eraser

World

Immigrants are a scapegoat for America’s many problems

• Do not challenge an eraser

Entertainment

Ace Family build lasting bond

• Do not challenge an eraser

Showcase

Yoga helps Granite Park students Cope With End Of Year Testing

• Do not challenge an eraser

Opinion

Worst duo in history’s careers finally end

• Do not challenge an eraser

World

Mental illness is plaguing our society in many ways

• Do not challenge an eraser

News

All we need is love

error: Content is protected !!

The Student News Site of Granite Park Jr. High
Do not challenge an eraser