Do not challenge an eraser

Back to Article
Back to Article

Do not challenge an eraser

A student demonstrates how the eraser challenge is done.

Photo by Annelle Vargas-Perez

Photo by Annelle Vargas-Perez

Photo by Annelle Vargas-Perez

Young teenagers, including many at Granite Park, are participating in the “Eraser Challenge.” This popular challenge that started on social media, where kids rub an eraser on their skin while reciting the letters of the alphabet until their skin breaks and bleeds.

It all started when a student did it first and then told his friends and then it when by viral. The teens take an eraser and rub it back and forth until they get to the letter Z. Then they stop and they wait for a minute and they see if it get’s all red, but they don’t know what will happen.

There are countless videos online showing kids rubbing erasers on their arms and legs — doing it because of peer pressure, boredom, or just ignorance about what can happen.

Some students are using pencils to take notes and using their eraser to erase things, but others are using the eraser to erase their skin. When a student asks a teacher if they can have a pencil, they might only want the pencil so they have the eraser to erase their skin.

Parents, doctors, teachers and other adults are surprised when they see that what kids are doing. The challenge is known to produce bacteria that creates a toxin that causes much more severe effects, including low blood pressure, problems with clotting and severe signs of illness.

In some schools, the administration has already has sent a letter home to parents or guardians so they’ll know about the eraser challenge.

I think it’s great that they do notify parents, because something could go under the radar or be missed by parents,” said one student’s guardian.

The challenge often leaves deep abscesses in teens’ skin.

“Most students use their hands to do this, however it can be anywhere on their body. The skin is ‘erased’ to the point of blistering and significant open wounds,” said one Granite Park faculty member.

Many teenagers have tried the eraser challenge game. Some students keep doing it and doing it all the time they don’t even care that they get marks with them everywhere and forever. 

The eraser challenge may sound or look fun when a students does it, but then later when it starts to hurt, they may not like it.

When some students do the eraser challenge, they may say that they are the coolest students in the school. They don’t know anything about what a eraser can do. They think nothing will happen when something can happen. 

Some students don’t know about the eraser challenge. They may say that it sounds fun when it doesn’t, because when they actually do it, then they may ask “Why did I do this?” and “Why on the earth this happen to me.?” That’s why it is good not to do it and leave it like that. Some students may ask that if it fun to do eraser challenge, but when somebody tells them, “Yes, it’s fun” or “No, don’t even try it,” that’s why some students don’t do it and some do.